Highland Park Affirmation of Faith
1. We worship the triune God of the Bible, who is eternally one God in three persons. This one, true God is most clearly revealed to us in the incarnate Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
2. We proclaim the Good News of the atoning death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, knowing that salvation (forgiveness of sins, release from guilt and condemnation, reconciliation with God) and eternal life are granted in grace to all who trust Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord. This Gospel is the central message of the Bible.
3. We believe that the Bible, composed of the Old and New Testaments, is the divinely inspired Word of God, the final written authority and trustworthy for faith and practice. It is to be interpreted responsibly under the guidance of the Holy Spirit in the community of faith. The primary purpose of the Bible is to point to Jesus Christ, the living Lord of the Church. We accept no humanly devised creed or confession as binding in matters of faith.
4. We affirm that God is sovereign over all and that this sovereignty is expressed and realized through Jesus Christ. Therefore, we affirm the Lordship of Christ over the world and the Church. In Jesus’ name, we joyously proclaim the power of the Holy Spirit, the Good News of God’s reconciling grace, and the saving power of the Gospel to every human being and to every human institution. We celebrate Christ’s command to make disciples of all nations, and to bear witness to God’s redeeming reign in human affairs.
5. With the whole body of Christ, we believe that God has been revealed in Jesus Christ as in no other. We rejoice that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself. We anticipate the day when every creature and all creation, on earth and beyond, will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father.
6. We believe that Highland Park, as part of God’s Kingdom, is a gathered fellowship of regenerated believers and a sign of the coming universal reign of God. Therefore we embrace the witness to Christ as our ongoing task together.
** A comprehensive Statement of Beliefs, complete with Scripture references, is available by clicking HERE: Comprehensive Statement of Beliefs.